Auto glass damage never comes at the “right” time. Nobody plans for that flying rock, seemingly out of nowhere, to smack their windshield while leisurely driving along. But, alas, it happens. Some other ways windshields get damaged include improper installation, impact from objects like tree branches or hail, and extreme temperature changes. Once you have a crack in your vehicle’s glass, it must be dealt with ASAP to prevent the damage from spreading. These are the top five considerations a professional auto glass company will use to determine whether you need a full windshield replacement or if a repair will suffice:
- Size and location of the damage: The size and location of the damage are key factors in determining whether a windshield can be repaired or needs to be replaced. If the damage is smaller in length than a credit card and not located in the driver's line of vision, it can often be repaired. If the damage is larger or in the driver's line of vision, the windshield will likely need to be replaced.
- Type of damage: The type of damage can also determine whether a repair or replacement is needed. Chips and cracks that are smaller than a quarter and not located in the driver's line of vision can usually be repaired. If the damage is a large crack or if the windshield has been shattered, a replacement is necessary.
- Age and condition of the windshield: The age and condition of the windshield can play a role in whether it should be repaired or replaced. If the windshield is old, brittle, or has previously been repaired, it could be more susceptible to further damage and may need to be replaced.
- Insurance coverage: Some insurance policies will cover the cost of windshield repair, while others may only cover the cost of replacement. If you have comprehensive coverage, the cost of a repair or replacement may be covered by your insurance policy. Glass America understands the insurance billing process and we have an outstanding reputation with insurance companies and agents throughout the country. We handle all the insurance payment and reimbursement paperwork and make sure your claim is processed properly and expeditiously.
- Cost: The cost of windshield repair versus replacement can also be a consideration. In general, repairs are less expensive than replacements. However, if the damage is too severe, a replacement may be necessary, even if it is more expensive - your safety is our top priority at Glass America. Click here to get a free online quote from us!
We know that dealing with a cracked windshield or broken auto glass is typically an unexpected event that requires a fast response. That's why we provide free mobile service as part of our auto glass and windshield repair or replacement. Glass America's trained and certified technicians will come to your home, business, or designated location at no extra charge. They will assess the damage, recommend the best solution, and provide you with a cost estimate. More questions about windshield replacement versus repair? Right this way!