Random Acts of Kindness Day is on February 17th – and what a great day to do something special! If you never have before, why not start now? The beauty of this day, especially this month, is that it has nothing to do with your relationship status. It is inclusive of everyone – because everyone needs to spread and receive a little kindness.
Would you like to participate in this sweet, yet simple day? Here are some ideas, depending on who you have in mind.
Random Acts of Kindness: Friendships
Sometimes, it is nice to randomly tell a friend how much they mean to you.
· Mail a hand-written note or card to share a few of your favorite things about them.
· Send them some cash for their favorite specialty coffee via Venmo or CashApp.
· Gift them some of their favorite flowers on their car with a little note wishing them a great day.
Friends are the family we choose. Oftentimes, we see some friends more often than we do our immediate family members. Because of this, it is a nice gesture to let them know you love them and are thinking of them. For this category, doing something a little more personalized will go a long way. That is why we suggest hand-written notes or coffee “gift cards.” This way, your friend can feel the intimacy and thought that went into this random act of kindness.
Random Acts of Kindness: Romantic Partners
We know Valentine's Day just passed. However, the expectation is to do something on this “Love Day.” How great would it be to surprise your partner with a random act of kindness?
· If you live together, how about doing their chores for that day or week? (i.e., Was it their turn to cook dinner? Surprise them with takeout or skipping their turn.).
· If you do not live together, have some cupcakes or other favorite treat delivered to their place of work or “borrow” their car to fill up the tank.
· Has your partner been talking about a movie they really want to see but never find the time? Surprise them with a movie night in – popcorn and snacks included.
· Does your partner have a crack in their windshield they haven't “gotten around” to fixing? Schedule their Glass America appointment for them!
The key is to do something completely unexpected, but really, any act of kindness that helps take the load off or even just brings a smile to their face is enough.
Random Acts of Kindness: Strangers
Finally, why not share the kindness wealth with a complete stranger? We do not know what the person next to us is carrying. Do they have financial struggles or relationship woes? A small act of kindness can completely turn someone’s day around.
· Pay for the coffee or lunch order for the car behind you in the drive-thru.
· Leave a small note on a random windshield that wishes them a wonderful day or shares an inspirational quote.
· Tip your waiter or delivery person a little something extra at lunch.
An act of kindness can be pretty much anything as long as it’s kind. This day is all about sacrificing your time and some energy to ensure the person you love, like, or do not even know has a good day. What do you think you want to do to celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Day? Tell us about it on our social media platforms (Facebook and Twitter) and use #RandomActsOfKindnessDay in your post.