Cracked windshields not only look unsightly, but they also reduce visibility while you’re driving. Preventing a windshield crack from spreading is essential for safety. These cracks will spread over time—if not tended to ASAP. Make sure to call your insurance company, as it’s very likely the cost of your windshield repair will be covered. Whether you visit one of our brick-and-mortar locations or prefer our convenient free mobile service, the damage needs to be addressed right away. In the interim, here are five ways to stop a windshield crack from spreading:
- Use a Windshield Repair Kit (TEMPORARY FIX): Windshield repair kits are readily available at auto parts stores and online retailers. These kits typically include a resin that can fill minor cracks and prevent them from spreading. Follow the instructions carefully to ensure proper application. It's essential to use the kit as soon as possible after the crack appears, as dirt and moisture can make repairs less effective over time.
- Keep the Windshield Clean: Clean the cracked area of the windshield with a glass cleaner and a soft cloth. Keeping the crack free of dirt and debris can help prevent it from spreading. Avoid using harsh abrasives or chemicals that could further damage the glass.
- Avoid Extreme Temperature Changes: Rapid temperature changes can cause the crack to expand. Try to park your vehicle in the shade or in a garage when possible to avoid direct sunlight. Avoid using hot water or defrosters on a cold windshield, as this can stress the glass and make the crack worse—this is especially true during the winter.
- Drive Carefully: Avoid driving over rough terrain, speed bumps, or potholes that can cause vibrations and put additional stress on the windshield. Sudden jolts and impacts can exacerbate cracks.
- Consult a Professional: If the crack is longer than a dollar bill, or continues to spread despite your efforts, it's best to consult a professional windshield repair or replacement service. Auto Glass Service has the expertise and tools to assess the damage and recommend the most appropriate solution, which may include windshield replacement.
Safety first - always!
Remember that safety should always be your top priority. Cracks in your windshield can obstruct your view of the road, other vehicles, pedestrians, and obstacles. This impaired visibility increases the likelihood of accidents and collisions.
Did you know that your windshield is an integral part of your vehicle's structural integrity? It provides support to the roof and helps prevent the roof from collapsing in the event of a rollover accident. A cracked windshield is weaker and may not provide the necessary support, putting you at greater risk in the event of an accident.
Auto Glass Service offers both windshield repairs and glass replacements. Our certified and trained technicians will perform a thorough assessment of your needs and help you determine the best options for repair or replacement. At Auto Glass Service, it's always about what's best for you. Our goal is to make sure we provide you with the most affordable and effective auto glass repair possible.
Questions? We’re here for you.